Friday, May 2, 2008

a poem remembered...

So I remembered a poem the other day, while reading a poetry book of Pablo Neruda. It's by Eduardo Galeano and it's called "Utopía." I first read it on a poster I bought from the FMLN office in El Salvador...

I'm not very good at translating, here's the basic gist:

Ella está en el horizonte. (She is on the horizon)
Me acerco dos pasos, (I move two steps closer)
ella se aleja dos pasos. (And she walks two more steps)
Camino diez pasos into the distance (And she walks two more steps)
y el horizonte se corre (I walk ten steps)
diez pasos más allá. (and the horizon runs ten more steps)
Por mucho que yo camine (For as much as I move closer...)
nunca la alcanzaré. (I never reach her.)
¿Para qué sirve la utopía? (For what then serves the utopia?)
Para eso sirve: (For this it serves:)
para caminar. (To Walk.)

walking horizon,

No comments: